Pontiac, Oxford and Northern Railway

Posted by Michael Hardy on

Variously known as the "Polly Ann", and, less kindly, as the "Poor, Old & Neglected," the Pontiac, Oxford and Northern was chartered on 24 September 1889, under the general laws of the State of Michigan, for the purpose of acquiring the railroad formerly owned by the Pontiac, Oxford and Port Austin Railroad. The latter had been incorporated on 28 July 1879 as the Oxford and Port Austin Railroad Company. The name was changed on 15 January 1880. The line went bankrupt and was sold on 5 June 1889, to Hugh Porter and others, who in turn sold it to the Pontiac, Oxford and Northern on 24 September 1889. The Pontiac, Oxford and Northern was a single-track, standard-gauge, steam railroad, situated entirely within the State of Michigan, extending from Pontiac to Caseville, 99.894 miles. The company also owned 12.105 miles of yard tracks and sidings, or a total of 111.999 miles of all tracks. For much of the line's existence there was a thrice-weekly mixed train. The line was absorbed by the Grand Trunk Railway in 1909 at an outlay of $400,000

0 comments

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published